Thursday, February 7, 2008

Nickle and Dime Business

I've put a bid in. It's a low-ball bid, and I don't think it will be accepted. But it sounds like the current owner of the vending machine route is having cash troubles because he dabbled in real estate and it's not working out for him. So we'll see.

After reviewing all the financials, and comparing the business to other vending routes for sale around the country, I decided to go all in and try to buy a little business called Snack Master. The business consists of a route with 87 machines at 44 locations around the Phoenix area. There's also a beat up old 1995 Isuzu box truck. And that's about it.

I like this vending business for a few reasons. First, it appears to make enough money for me to live on. I'll never become rich with the business as it stands right now, but perhaps once I get comfortable running the route, I would be able to expand or take over other routes. Also, it is a cash business, and I'll get all the little benefits that go a long with cash businesses. I like the idea of being my own boss, setting my own hours, and being solely responsible for all decisions. Finally, I like this because it will be a job where I get to go out every day in shorts and a T-shirt and be out in the sun and physically active. I just can't take the idea of sitting behind a desk all day, staring at a computer screen, getting fatter. I will have to avoid eating and drinking away the product and the profits.

Within the next couple of days, I should get a response from the seller. I'd be thrilled if he just accepted it, but I suspect he will come back with a counter offer. I'll let you know how it turns out.

2 comments:

Beth Kelley said...

Any word?

What about starting a business where you help individuals and small businesses with their computers?

RoadTripper said...

Beth, sorry for the delay before today's post. I've actually been quite busy prepping for my new vending route.

As for the computer business, I am looking to do a little freelancing designing web pages for small businesses. (I don't have the skills to do support.)