Sunday, March 2, 2008

The New Beginning

Tomorrow I start my new job. I don't think of it as a new career, because I don't see myself doing this for the long haul. But for now, I am an entrepreneur having officially bought the Snack Master vending business. Escrow went smoothly, and no real issues came up. I handed over the biggest check I have ever written, and the deal is done.


I will be doing two weeks of training with the former owners, and I am excited and nervous. Because I don't have a place to run the business out of yet, I will be travelling for the next two weeks down to Tempe early each day. I have a lot to learn, but I don't think there will be anything too complex about what I need to know. The majority of the job will be a matter of going to the machines, filling up what needs to be filled and walking away with the money that has accumulated. Learning where all the machines are should be pretty easy, but I would have a heck of a time trying to find them without the previous owners showing me. It's not like you just show up to a place and the machines are at the front door. In one school I will be servicing, I have to walk in a certain door, wind my way through the halls and find the teachers lounge.

One of the tasks that will be important to get right is the purchasing of product. I will be buying the sodas from Costco or Sam's Club and the snacks from Vendco (which services most of the venders in the area). If I buy too much, it can expire and have product loss. Or if I buy too little, I can lose sales because of not having the right product in the machines. It's important to get it close to right. But then again, this isn't rocket science (or computer programming), so there is a good bit of leeway with respect to mistakes.

Right now, I'm a little bit nervous and a little bit excited. The last time I started a new job was about 15 years ago and I'm chomping at the bit. It's sort of like the day before I set off on the Road Trip, but then I was a lot nervous and a lot excited.

I also have an update on where I am going to be running the business out of. This morning I signed a lease on a 2 Bed Room, 2 Full Bath, 2 Car Garage house that should work out nicely for me. I am disappointed that I will be losing the spectacular views and sunsets that I currently relish. The house is in a more residential area than my current place, but it is central to the route I will be working. The last time I had a house for a residence was when I lived with my parents. It's been all apartments and condos since then. I move in on the 15th.

CuzJoe's visit was great and we ended up doing a nice hike up Pinnacle Peak before he headed back to the cold northeast. I think he really appreciated Phoenix, particularly the weather, and I expect hi to return often. Now that I'll have two bedrooms, I will easily be able to have guests, so start making your plans.

Wish me luck!

Snack Master Scott

1 comment:

Battlestar said...

Congrats!! Even the guy in the logo bears a striking resemblence to Snack Master Scott...or the monopoly guy sans mustache, I can't decide. It may be time to retire "roadtripper" as your handle and use snackmaster or SMSM.

Make sure to have extra Twix bars on hand when I visit.