Saturday, September 15, 2007

Sunrise Sunset - Home in Phoenix

One week ago today I moved into my new home. My new home! It feels so fantastic and I'm ecstatic about it.

I am situated in North Central Phoenix close to the intersection of the Carefree Highway and I 17. Unfortunately, I can just barely hear the traffic on 17. But it is somewhat drowned out by the light sounds coming from the Ben Avery Shooting Range, which sounds like dull firecrackers off in the distance or the sound of popcorn popping. Neither the traffic nor the guns distracts from the beautiful sunsets from my balcony.

The view is why I chose this place, and it was a great choice. Every single night since being here, I amble out on the balcony for the last dozen minutes as the sun slips behind the distant mountains and then for the next 10 minutes as it colors the sky and any clouds that may be present with yellows, oranges and reds. I'm paying $28.09 per day ($871 per month) and the sunset alone is worth every penny. (Here's a link to the final 3 minutes of one of my Sunsets.)

Besides the sunsets, I am also loving this apartment complex living. Everything is so easy. I have my own washer and dryer, a garbage disposal and an ice maker - I never had these before, and I don't think I ever want to live without them again. The complex also has a beautiful pool that is rejuvenating when the temperatures soar over 100, which had been every day other than today when it peaked at 98. If anything goes wrong, even if a light bulb goes out, I just stop by the concierge and they send someone to repair it. My sink had a slow drip, so they had a guy come over and totally replace the faucet fixtures. It's the simple life, and it's great.

Craigslist - what a great website. On Tuesday, I was the first to reply to the offer of a free, little used, pillowtop queen size bed, box spring and frame. I then found a cool, pine corner table and benches ($126) that are pretty unique and fit well into the dining nook. I have moved my single bed into the living room until I can find a loveseat or sofa.

But more than anything, it is great to have my stuff back. I spent the first half of the week moving all my boxes and furniture up to the apartment, and then sifting and sorting, and finding the right place for each item that I deemed important enough not to discard. I like my stuff, and I like having it back again. It's been a long road between then and now, and it's good to be making a home again.

I'm keeping my cell phone number and email address, but my new home and mailing address is:

removed because swza said it was wrong to put my address on the web for fear of identity theft

Feel free to drop by anytime.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How long is the drive to Vegas? to Mexico? to Calif coast?

Anonymous said...

Great sunset but more clouds would have made it better. Try some music to go along with it next time -- anyone know any soothing sunset music? (Is there a Grand Canyon Suite with a sunset?)

Battlestar said...

Good to see that you and your recliner have been reunited. Let's hope you two don't spend too much time together. There's a whole new city out there to explore.

Not sure how long a drive it is, but wifey and I will be in Vegas Sunday through Wednesday.

The SWZA said...

Traffic and gun sounds. Just like Hoboken...

Hey, I know that chair. What up, Frasier's Dad.

I'll grant you the Coyotes and the Rattlers, but screw the Diamondbacks and the Cardinals. For real.

RoadTripper said...

mark:
Vegas: 287 miles, 5 hr 19 mins
Mexico: 180 miles, 2 hr 39 mins
LA: 397 miles, 5 hr 39 mins

buz:
I'm not sure what I am doing wrong...I have been talking suring the recording of the videos, but I can't seem to get it picked up. Need to read the camera and download instructions.

BS:
Vegas: 287 miles, 5 hr 19 mins
Can't make it...gonna be sitting in my recliner.

swza:
Had to watch the Cardinals this weekend...they are horrible. But at least I had my recliner.