Sunday, November 15, 2009

Redwoods and SF

During this second road trip, I've averaged around 7 hours of sleep a day. But since I've arrived here in San Francisco, I have been down for 11 hours a day. I'd love to blame it on the endless energy of niece and nephew RiMax, but I think I may be a bit under the weather, and catching up on Z's while warm and cozy in the cave suite in the basement. I've even decided to stay a day more than planned, and play a bit more soccer with Max, and read a few more princess stories to Ries before heading on the slow route to Phoenix.

Getting here to this rambunctious oasis, I did pass thorough another majestic Park, Redwoods National. As far north and west as you can be in California lies a coastal redwood forest that is well deserving of National Park status. Driving along the park routes is dizzying as I nearly brushed my side mirrors from the towering monoliths of coastal redwoods. If I had a convertible, I could have seen the treetops, but even craning forward I could see just the bases of the massive trunks. But when you park and take just a few steps into the groves of redwoods you begin to swirl while looking straight up.

"THIS is the forest primeval," said both Longfellow and Looney Tunes. And Redwoods NP is a pristine example of old growth forests, and easily gives you the feeling of walking into another era, which in fact you are as some of these trees were here when that guy Jesus walked the earth. And the environs of this park may be no different from when dinosaurs roamed through them.

Besides the groves of giant redwoods, this park is also on the Pacific Ocean, providing completely separate astounding views. You get two-for-the-price-of-one stunning and solitary beauty. I wouldn't include this in my top 5 parks of all time, but it is in the top ten, and I'd love to revisit it during different seasons of the year. Just walking through the towering redwood groves and scanning the immense Pacific is both humbling and exhilarating.


Anyway, tomorrow I will be getting on the road again after a wonderful family visit, and if the weather is good, I should be camping out tomorrow night in what many consider the second best National Park in the lower 48 - Yosemite!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you considered getting some medical marajuana to heal your aching back from all the driving?

Anonymous said...

It was rather interesting for me to read the article. Thanx for it. I like such topics and everything connected to this matter. I definitely want to read more soon.

Anonymous said...

In you previous post you said: this (Crater Lake) is now number 2, behind only the Grand Canyon Southern Rim, and moving in front of Monument Valley." While Monument Valley has been bumped by the caldera at Big Bend, the Big Room at Carlsbad Caverns and multiple sites at Yellowstone, the top two remain as is.
Now you say Grand Canyon has been bumped and Crater Lake doesn't appear. --buz

RoadTripper said...

No idea who the first two comments were from, but Buz, to reply to your comment, you quote me correctly, but you left out the surrounding text (sort of what Rush Limbaugh does all the time).

There were actually two lists involved. The list in the Yosemite Post ranks National Parks. The ranking with Grand Canyon Southern Rim was qualified with this: "greatest sites I've visited based mainly on their aesthetic beauty."

Limiting to beauty, doesn't account for so much of what a National Park has to offer. It excludes hikes, wildlife, remoteness, and in cases like Yellowstone, a place can be scary, deadly, ugly and stink like rotten eggs, yet be awesome.