Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Yosemite!

Here's the new Top 5 list of my favorite National Parks:
5. Carlsbad Caverns
4. Big Bend
3. Bryce Canyon
2. Yosemite
1. Yellowstone

Yosemite has bumped the Grand Canyon off the list and jumped to number 2. From the moment I entered Yosemite Valley it was immediately a place of wonder. Like Yellowstone, it is plentiful in variety, curiosity and stunning views.

The immense El Capitan and Half Dome tower over the valley, majestic waterfalls storm out of the glacier carved mountains, hikes into the wilderness are filled with ever changing dramatic scenery, and in the end, just as I was heading for the southern exit, they threw in a dizzying grove of Giant Sequoias.
I camped out last night in the Upper Pines campground with Glacier Point as my backdrop. The stars came out early and brilliantly. The milky way was clearly visible all night. And the night was capped by watching the meteors of the Leonid shower burn up on entry into the atmosphere. I'd been hoping for a night of star watching since I began this trip, and I can't imagine I will ever beat this night. Really it was a stellar evening of camping.

I could write so much more, but I am exhausted and will let the pictures do the talking.










2 comments:

Pooka Politics said...

Yeah! I told you- having still not seen GC or Y'Stone, Yosemite is my favorite, favorite then Bryce and Zion. I am so glad you were that impressed, i was worried i talked it up too much! Keep it up! L- Beana

RoadTripper said...

PP - (wow, i now have commenters with PP, BS, and TP as their monikers) You couldn't have built it up more, and it was way better in person! When looking for a park ranger job, I could do worse than being a half days drive to Sis.