Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Like I Needed More Impetus

Most people who know me, know that I have been disliking or really hating my job for a while now. The IT industry isn’t quite as fun as it used to be, especially at public companies where Sarbanes-Oxley rules are pretty constricting.

Because of a “re-org” in my division last year, I ended up in a purely management position. I’ve always sort of enjoyed the technical side of the work, so I looked around, found a manager I used to work with, found an opening he had that was half management/half technical, and we agreed that I would take that job. Unfortunately, when he discussed this with my actual boss, it was determined that I was too important to the project to be allowed to transfer.

So I ended up forced to stay in a position that I really didn’t want. When they informed me of this, I was told: “Would you please stay in this position, and BTW if you do, you will get a 33% increase in your year end bonus this year.” As I’d suspected, I’ve ended up not liking the position. And when I ended up getting no increase at all in my bonus this year, I strongly expressed my dismay, and got managers talking to managers confirming whether the promise was made. (And the manager who had offered me the other position has told me he knows and agrees that this increase was promised to me.)

Today I was told that nothing can be done. I will not be getting the increase I was promised. Just adding fuel and momentum to the trip.

I have 20 vacation days, 3 personal days and 6 sick days to burn through. I told her I was taking all of next week off.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Come to AZ!!!!

Anonymous said...

USAir has a one way flight from PHX to PHL on Feb 10th for $110.

I know Southwest has hourly flights from Vegas, or you could drive.

L

Anonymous said...

O.K., Tripper (have you decided if this is the nickname you're using?). I've read the entire blog, my first time ever really reading a blog and responding to one (I'm a "blirgin" :-)

DON'T FREEZE THE CAT!!!! If we can't find a home for her then you take her to a no-kill shelter. There is one on Long Island. Everyone who is saying "freeze the cat", well I say to you --that's just not nice!!
I have a customer coming in, so I have to stop for a moment. Be back in a bit -- I have more to say (or should I say type).

Anonymous said...

O.K., I'm back. Just some things to remember to do:
1. PUT ME ON YOUR VISITING LIST. Once in the new house (which hopefully will be mid-March) we'll have lots of room and we're fun!
2. Living Will, just in case something should happen to you out there on your big adventure.
3. Absentee ballot just in case you're still on your adventure when voting time comes.
Hmmm, there was something else I wanted to remind you about and can't remember...well when it comes to me I'll type again.

Note to Sweeney: Were you at my wedding? And did you use that language at my wedding?!?!?! Hee, hee, of course I'm kidding, but should some youngsters start to read this, someone out there might have to watch her language :-)

Well, this has been fun. Gotta go again...I'll be back tomorrow. Love you Tripper and I'm extremely happy and excited for you(and a little jealous)!!

Anonymous said...

O.K., I'm back. Just some things to remember to do:
1. PUT ME ON YOUR VISITING LIST. Once in the new house (which hopefully will be mid-March) we'll have lots of room and we're fun!
2. Living Will, just in case something should happen to you out there on your big adventure.
3. Absentee ballot just in case you're still on your adventure when voting time comes.
Hmmm, there was something else I wanted to remind you about and can't remember...well when it comes to me I'll type again.

Note to Sweeney: Were you at my wedding? And did you use that language at my wedding?!?!?! Hee, hee, of course I'm kidding, but should some youngsters start to read this, someone out there might have to watch her language :-)

Well, this has been fun. Gotta go again...I'll be back tomorrow. Love you Tripper and I'm extremely happy and excited for you(and a little jealous)!!

Anonymous said...

glinwin - have you met Vader? Definately freeze her. Nice has nothing to do with it.

Good advice on the absentee ballot and living will...