Sunday, August 14, 2011

Into the North Woods of Maine

After a very restful stay outside of Calais (pronounced Kalas, like the late great Phillies brodcaster), we were headed to a little know area known as the Maine North Woods.  If you've heard of them, you probably own fishing gear, a rifle, a boat, and a really big knife...and you probably live in Maine.  And you certainly don't drive a Prius.

We continued leisurely north on Route 1 to an almost city called Presque (Presk) Isle.  Route 1 goes due north with New Brunswick, Canada just a mile or so east.  It's a bit odd to be driving in America with Canada to the east.  JayMe was interested in a race track in town, but we were never able to find it and we drove the whole town.  But this city did have both a Wal-Mart and a supermarket and we took advantage of both to stock up on supplies for the camping ahead.  On the way out of town, we met Ben, of Ben's Outdoor Shop and he gave us plenty of advice about what we were heading out for...most of the advice wasn't even cautionary, more about where to go, what to look out for (moose) and what to fish for.  And then we headed into the woods.

After the first 5 miles on a dirt logging road, we came to the entrance station.  It costs $10 a day, and another $10 a night in the park, so for $40 each we were set for two days and nights in the woods.  The attendant directed us to a campground (fortunately there were real campgrounds and we didn't have to just pick a spot on our own) that was accessible by small cars, and over the next hour we drove 22 miles on dirt roads primarily used to transport logs out of the woods.  The logging truck have complete right-of-way at all times and if you see one coming you are supposed to pull way over to allow them to pass, hoping not to get stuck in the mud or ditches.  Fortunately we never were passed by a logging truck, and though there were moments when I thought we might get stuck in the road, JayMe never had to get out and push.

Because of a bit of dallying earlier in the day, and the unexpectedly long drive into camp, we arrived later than I hoped at nearly 6:30 PM.  The sun was still out and the scant remaining daylight left was needed to take care of the most important setup items - tent and fire.  The tent went up fast as the practice of the last couple of days made it a breeze.  But as we were completing setting up house, clouds moved in fast and a drizzle ensued.  When the full and sudden down poor started moments later, there was nothing left to do but jump back in the car to stay dry.  Wet in cold weather and without a fire is a recipe for disaster.  Some items that would have been best kept dry, like wood, were sacrificed.

Ten minutes later, as the storm passed, a mad dash was made to make best use of daylight and accumulate as much fuel for a fire as we could find while trying to simultaneously coax a moist pile of kindling into catching fire.  I wish I could say we were triumphant, and sat peacefully by the fire staring at the stars all night, but that would not happen until the next evening.  The night became a constant battle of adding enough fuel, big and small and sustaining fire at all costs...at one desperate time I had to part with half a roll of TP to get it going again.

It was far from a miserable night.  In fact it was quite a rewarding challenging night, and before the fire went out, nearly all the wood we could find was consumed.  I never had to change out of my shorts and T-shirt.  I slept a little and the next day simply consisted of a drive to pick up a trunk of wood, a hike to check out the little lake we were staying at, and a good amount of staring at the scenery that surrounded us.

The second night in the woods was a breeze with somewhat dry wood and tons of it.  I still did not get to see the Milky Way, but it wasn't because the night sky wasn't clear.  It was a beautiful full moon last night and in its brightness, the campground was lit bright enough that we could get around without flashlights for the most part.  Exhaustion set in early and I was asleep by midnight.

I saw a shooting star!  It's the Perseids meteor shower and even with a full moon it was a clear piercing streak through the sky.  I saw one more not as distinct and that was it.  I wish I saw more, but when you live on the east coast just seeing one meteorite is pretty good.

I almost forgot.  I saw my first wild moose ever!  We crossed it on the dirt road on the way in.  I was in a rush to get to the camp, so I just stopped briefly as it move on toward whatever nocturnal camp a moose has.  I hope I see more moose on this trip!  (But since I am writing this retroactively, I'm sad to say it was my only sighting.)

No comments: