Thursday, August 11, 2011

Maine Stay

We woke early enough.  We packed and repacked the car.  We left early enough from the motel just shy of 7:30 AM.  At the Acadia National Park visitor center yesterday they told us that if we arrived by 9 AM, and waited in line, we should be able to get a spot at their first-come, first-served campsite.  So we headed onto Desert Island, and sped for the camping ground in order to get there by 9AM.  We crossed over to the Island and through some decision making fumbles, we ended up on the 27 Mile Loop Road that possesses the best that Acadia has to offer.  I'll come back to that loop road 3 full times before I will leave Acadia.

But the loop road was not where we wanted to be.  The bad assumption that JayMe and I made was that the loop road is where everyone goes, thus that is where the campsite must be.  The campsite was on the other side of Desert Island, and before we knew it we were backtracking and running late.

Nonetheless, arriving at 9:15 was good and shouldn't be a problem.  I told JayMe, "We'll get a site."  We did not get a site.  Neither did the car that arrived 90 minutes before us, because they also checked in to the campground two miles down the road where we spent the next two nights.

Technically, we're not camping in Acadia NP.  We're camping on Desert Island, where most of Acadia is, but Acadia is not all of Desert Island.  Rockefeller like moneys slowly and secretly purchased all of the most beautiful parts of Desert Island, then donated them to us dumb taxpayers.  (And now I get to go visit them and experience them and be exalted.)  The rest is still privately owned and surrounds the parts of Desert Island that are Acadia.

Camp at the campground at Bass Harbor, ME was a little spot just footsteps from a part the island that is Acadia's.  We were very efficient at setting up camp and by noon, we were fully encamped.  We could relax. Around 2 PM I decided it was time to really do the 27 Mile Loop road, and JayMe was up for a hike to the Natural Seawall.

We parted ways, and I was off to see Acadia's biggest attractions on the 27 Mile Loop road.  If I had a Camera-to-computer connector, you would now be looking at a series of Acadia pictures that would make you drool with envy.  (Pictures to be added later.)  If I had a Camera-to-computer connector I would be able to floridly describe how awe inspiring the sites I saw were.  (Florid description to be added later.)  Suffice it to say that choosing to highlight a trip to Maine by focusing on Acadia was the right choice.  The beauty and awe factors are there.

Returning to camp, JayMe had also enjoyed his hike, but it is clear that he should have joined me for the loop road to more fully experience the park.  After a clear and comfortable night at the campfire, where we vigorously talked (argued) about fire maintenance, the expectations for the morning were high.  On my tour of the loop road, I picked up hitchhikers who had just completed a long hike and needed a ride to their car.  After quick niceties, I asked these experienced Acadia hikers what is the best hike to do.  They agreed that the Sargeant Mountain-Ponobscot hike, at 3 hours, is the one.  So that hike is the plan for tomorrow.

In this perfect wonderland of light depravity, we watched the stars and saw a gazillion of meteors.  That's what I'd like to be able to say.  Unfortunately, totally un-fun clouds were everywhere; no stars could be seen.

I am writing the blog of this day with backward looking knowledge of what actually happened the next morning.  But going to sleep that night, I was really excited and had expectations of a hike that could rank near the top of my all time favorite.  Little did I know that when I awoke the next morning, the hike would be soaked, the campsite would be soaked, and emotions were underwater. (Hint, it rained all night!)

Cheers,

RT

P.S.  From now on, I will be referring to the guy with me on the trip as JayMe.  When reading this, it may be easier for you to just read it as the boy name Jaime.  As for why I picked this monicker, it is a bit of a pun...his first name starts with the letter J (Jay) and his last name is my first name.  So, J. Scott is now JayMe. I asked JayMe to pick out his own monicker, but he gave me nothing.

No comments: