Monday, June 11, 2007

The 4th Leg - Day 64

Legs 1, 2 and 3 were Hoboken to New Orleans, New Orleans to Phoenix, and Phoenix to San Francisco. I am very ready to start out on the next segment of my od(d)yssey.

I can count the number of times I have flown with my parents on one finger. We returned to SF last night and the flight on Southwest was efficient. I spent half the trip chatting with my captive aisle-mate Marie. Time flew.

I'm thrilled to be back in SF, and spent the last day dining with Seismic, celebrating my niece's 2nd birthday, and reclaiming my Prius. Next up is a two-day vacation to California's wine region of Russian River. I suppose this counts as part of the Road Trip because it will be all new. Anything new and different is great. I'll take pictures.

The 4th leg of this trek was supposed to be SF to Portland to Seattle to Vancouver to Calgary to Montana to Wyoming to Utah to Phoenix. I will still make that trip, just not yet. I'm putting it on hold because Battlestar and B-girl have made final their decision to move to Seattle, and I want to wait until they are there to enjoy their hospitality. Congratulations to the dynamic duo, you've made an enormous decision, and I think it's a great one...at least for me.

The revised trip still takes me to Phoenix, but the new route will be something like this:

First I will head East through Yosemite. This will be just a pass through because there is too much to see and I want to spend some real time there in the future...maybe I'll just catch Old Faithful. I've previously been to Lake Tahoe, and will again admire it's beauty on the way to Reno.

Before losing some money in Reno, I'll try to stop in Murphy, Idaho, at least for a photo-op. And after losing some money in Reno, the next destination may be Boise, Idaho. There I hope to visit CuzBill. (Note to self - contact CuzBill.) There are a string of waterfalls leading out of Idaho that I'm hoping to see on the way to the Great Salt Lake and the city it is named after. I haven't seen many waterfalls in my life, so that should be cool, and refreshing.

After Salt Lake City, I will make my way through Wyoming a bit en route to Boulder, CO. EdMcJr, who I am told has checked out this blog, is a family friend I haven't seen since childhood. In adulthood, EdMc has become a serious rock climber, dangling and "camping" at heights that terrify me to think of. Perhaps I can convince him to give me some pointers on traversing a non-serious, out-of-shape, poky, fat man's hill. Or at least point me to some scenic locales that I can drive to. (Note to self - contact EdMcJr.)

Denver is shortly drive from Boulder, and I hope to hook up with UncleDave. (Note to self - contact UncleDave.) At our last family reunion in CO, UncleDave and I laid out in the snow un-coverd slopes of Breckenridge and took in the stars. Being a mile-high, the galaxy is that much closer, and it'd be nice to check it out again...or maybe catch a Rockies game.

From Denver I may be on the clock. If time permits, I will head through Utah and see Bryce Canyon. Bryce is the one place some people say is more beautiful than the Grand Canyon. I'll let you know if I agree. Vegas would give me the chance to see the Hoover Dam and the new Grand Canyon Skywalk on the western portion of the GC. I've also done a little research and might be able to fit in a rafting trip down the Colorado through the canyon.

But this will all be contingent on getting to Phoenix in time to prepare for a 1000 mile adventure through Mexico to hook up with SisDixRiMax in Puerto Vallarta. 75% of the people who have opinions about this trip tell me not to go. And internet research on driving through Mexico hasn't been encouraging. It sounds like I should expect to carry a wad of Peso's to bribe my way out of speed traps. If anyone has any first or second-hand knowledge of driving south of the border, please let me know. Also, if anyone want to take a trek like this, PLEASE feel free to join me...I could really use a riding companion and/or cell mate.

Adios Amigos.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.mexonline.com/drivemex.htm
http://wikitravel.org/en/Driving_in_Mexico
http://www.advantagemexico.com/driving.html

Must I do everything for you? Smuggle back some tequila for me.....
Don't get thrown in jail down there...I don't think it will be good for you.......

Anonymous said...

I vote that you fly to Mexico and not drive.