Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Sushi, Steve, Soul and Soaring - Days 80-81

Yesterday I had a great day; today I had a better day.


CuzPete had recommended Ten, a sushi house a few blocks from his place. With that, we headed there for dinner early last night. Early enough to get the happy hour special. Generally it was half-price for most of the stuff we ordered, including the sake. We ordered more that we could eat. And then we ate it all. It was not as good as Hoboken sushi/sashimi, and we don't even need to compare it to San Fran, but it was really good. Tuna - medium; Salmon - good; Snapper - good; Hamachi - medium. Tempura roll and appetizers - very good. It clearly satisfied my raw fish jonesing.

After dinner, we went to TreasonBiker's. TreasonBiker is TreasonPal's much, much, much older brother. But he looks and acts like us "kids". In other words, we hung out, drank beer, and told stories while watching the sun come down. One major reason the Treason's made the leap from Jersey specifically to Arizona was how much they appreciated the lifestyle, attitude, and camaraderie that she found in the Dale Lane crew. They certainly made me want to join the crew. (FYI, only TreasonBiker is a biker, the others all have their own unique extravagance.) I need to get CuzPete to walk down the street and meet these guys (actually a suped-up golf cart would be better than walking).

That was a great day. But today was better.

This morning, TreasonPal was still half asleep and sipping her over-sweetened coffee when I suggested she call in and say she was "working" from home today. Fortunately, Paul is her boss, and he was cool with it. Thanks Paul! We took full advantage of it.

After the morning swim, we headed out for lunch at Mrs. Smith's Golden Rule cafe. It was from the Road Food book, so it had to be good. But this soul food house was another of those places that have the full package of ambiance, history and fantastic food, that make it great. We both agreed that our main courses of chicken fried steak and southern fried chicken were the best parts of the meal. But the sides included the best green beans we'd ever had and a dessert-like yam that was almost too smooth and too sweet.

Through the 113 degree "dry" heat, we then headed for the primary adventure. On the southern side of the Estrella Mountains, we went to the Arizona Soaring's Sailport. On my Life To-do List, I now have a check mark next to flying in a glider.

While TreasonPal was treated to her pilots "best flight ever" by reaching 14,000 feet for his all-time high, my experienced and loquacious pilot, Bruce, took me through the aero-acrobatic basics that included the loop-de-loop, the wing-over, the clover, and the exhilarating feeling of weightlessness when we seemed to hit the pause button in mid-air and then just float downward to regain control. Exhilarating!

I was too soon on the ground with adrenaline riding high. The after-glow lasted for hours.

I retain my right to claim a fear of heights, yet my portfolio boasts bunji jumping, parachuting and now airplane gliding. I seem to enjoy my acrophobia, only by pushing it to the limits. I enjoyed it immensely today.

Thanks for playing hooky TreasonPal.

No comments: