Sunday, June 24, 2007

Tonto, Bronson and the Treasons - Days 77-78

I arrived in Phoenix in time for a pizza dinner (my request) with the Treasons.

To get here, I traversed another 500+ miles. I took a ride past Shiprock, NM and connected with I40. This was supposed to be a scenic drive mimicking Old Rte. 66, but it was just like any other Interstate drive...perhaps I didn't know what to look for.

As I entered AZ, I stopped at the Visitor Welcome Center. A little display said to ask the attendant for the Audio Tour of the region. I asked. With the two free CD's they provided, I listened to quaint tails of the approaching cities and little side trips that were available. Very entertaining, and with more time, I would have extended some of the stops even more.

But I wanted to get to the Treasons, so I then angled southwest from Holbrook to Phoenix across the Tonto National Forest. All these National Forests are worth a drive through. This one started with well spaced Ponderosa Pines, with an aroma that made me understand why so many cleansers are pine scented. The pines gave way to cacti - the famous and protected Saguaro (pronounced swarro) with the tall center stalk and any multiple of arms depending on age. If you were asked to draw a cactus in a game of Pictionary, this is what you'd be drawing.

And then I was back at home with TreasonPal and Mr. T. When I arrived, I was surprised to see they had adopted a new family member, Bronson. Actually they bought him. Bronson is a 9 week old male Boxer puppy. He's just getting his big clumsy feet under himself, as he continues to be potty trained, while he also takes instruction from his older sister Scully.

Today I sweatted out the 110 degree "dry" heat, keeping an eye on Bronson and enjoying a relaxing day accumulating only 1 additional mile on the Prius odometer. I had been on the road for 10 very full days. I had spent a night with CuzBill and another with UncleDave and AuntBarb, but even those days I kept rolling on. It was the longest time on my own and on the road. (I had been on the road for 21 days to start the Road Trip, but for the first 14 I was accompanied by CuzJoe.)

Tonight, at UncleDave's direction, I found the coordinates for the passing of the International Space Station on NASA's websites. We watched it at 9:12 PM pass from the West at 10 degrees above the horizon until it was blocked from view at 16 degrees in the SouthWest. For two minutes it was like a very bright star, shooting slowly.

BTW, though I have only been on the road 78 days, and though I don't publish every day, I also started publishing before the actual trip started. This is my 100th posting! Happy anniversary to me.

Thanks for the greeting cards Kris!!! I will be handing them out to many of the people I meet on the road.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sooooo, how many of those books have you read????

Also, I love the picture of my newest dog-nephew with sister Scully. I have three dog-nephews and only one dog-niece. No babies, I lament. At least I have some "young relations", even if they are dogs!!!

Only kidding, Tia.

Scott, so happy you are having the time of your life. And always remember the old saying, "If it feels good, do it. If it doesn't, do it until it does!"

To echo my other family members...DO NOT DRIVE/GO TO MEXICO.

RoadTripper said...

It's all about the dogs here, like taking care of a goofy baby. And I took your advice no Mexico...for now.