Thursday, June 21, 2007

Rocky Mountain National Park and Denver Murphys - Day 75

The Top 5 List of best scenic drives I've done has a new entry coming in at 4th place. The list is:


1. Grand Canyon Southern Rim - AZ
2. Monument Valley - AZ
3. Big Bend - TX
4. Rocky Mountain National Park (RMNP) - CO
5. Kentucky Blue Grass - KY

It was probably even better than the Big Bend drive, but that drive benefited from low expectations going in.

From Laramie, WY, I headed south to Estes Park, CO and the entrance to the RMNP. But before getting to Estes Park I had to squeeze through a dramatic crevice pass with mountains climbing straight up on both sides.

From Estes Park, I followed the Trail Ridge Road for 55 miles to Granby. 55 miles is usually about a 2 hour drive when the roads are scenic. It took me nearly 5 hours. I could have spent many hours more. The problem was there were far too many spectacular views, hikes and wild life to see.




The highlights included crossing the timber line, vistas with unending views, short breathless high altitude hikes, powerful bitter winds and surprise showers, and the largest wild animals I have crossed paths with yet, the Rocky Mountain elk - really massive creatures. I also took the Prius to it's highest altitude yet, crossing 12,200 feet. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

After the wonderful but exhausting expedition, I headed to Denver for a night hosted by UncleDave and AuntBarb. After catching up, we headed to the Elephant Pub for dinner and then onto the just completed "Bridges", a series of 3 different styles of suspension bridges forming a walking path linking the outskirts to center city Denver. One crosses I25, one crosses the rail yard and one crosses the Platte river.

UncleDave and Aunt Barb, thanks for the tour, thanks for dinner and thanks for the lodging. I'm sure I'll be passing through here again as it is a common gateway through the Rockies. As Uncle Dave described it, Denver was formed as a city because people who travelled thousands of miles west over difficult terrain and battling wildlife and Indians, got to the foot of the Rockies, and said "No Way". That surely makes more sense than his fact that the city was named after the singer, John.

No comments: