Sunday, August 5, 2007

Amish You All So Much - Day 120

CuzTina and I left Hershey this morning, and I must congratulate ourselves for not overdoing it and binging on chocolate. The first section of the drive today was to the scenic Amish country. To get there, we went down from LiTitz to Intercourse, PA. (Make your own joke here.)


The scenic route that we took brought us through Lancaster County, PA home of a prolific Amish territory. I don't know why, but the Amish are intimidating to me. Perhaps it is their purity. We weren't sure, but we think they are against having their picture taken. Thus, we didn't get any real good photos of the few Amish we saw. It was Sunday and perhaps most were in church at our early passing through time.
We hit a hot spot when we entered into Intercourse. We each posed below the town sign, passing time while we espied some plain frocked Amish ladies strolling past. I'm not sure I comprehend their lifestyle, but they certainly chose some beautiful rolling countryside to build their farms on.

CuzTina's (and my) highlight for the day was the cheese steak at Pat's. I had "one wit, wit whiz" and cuzTina had "one witout, wit wiz". (wit = with; when used singularly it means fried onions, when used with a qualifier, in our orders whiz, it indicates the type of cheese; whiz = Cheese Whiz. Got it?) plunge on some hot sa
After grabbing one of the tables, I went back around to get the hot sauce and ketchup. I asked if she wanted any ketchup and she laughed at me. And then in a completely serious tone she said, "Get me some May-o." For those in the know, please don't tease her...she's from Ohio.

Needless to say, she loved the one witout, wit whiz, witout mayo. I could tell this was a fact for the following reasons:

1. She ate the whole thing. (who doesn't?)
2. She used the moistness of the perfect roll to sop up all the meat and cheese drippings as they accumulated
3. She stated half way through that this was "the best late nite food ever", regardless of the fact that we were there at 11:30 AM.
4. When finished, she said she wanted another one, right now (I convinced her not to because mine was already 99% of the way through my intestinal tract)

And 5. During the next half hour of driving, she used the time to call and individually tease, taunt and torment her husband, father and two children with the fact that she had just had the authentic original Philly cheese steak. Actually, she was really whetting their appetites so that she could take another pass at it sometime in the near future. Sounds like a Road Trip for the Haller family in the making.

The "Road Food" book has it's hits and misses (mostly hits), but this was a layup for them. As a Philly local, I knew how great this was. As a Penn grad, I found it odd to take in this feast during the light of day...we usually made the trek here around 3AM.

We arrived this afternoon at Cape May, NJ, if I read my map correctly, this is the the southern most point in the state. The Atlantic ocean looks beautiful and has warmed to a nice summer temperature of 78 degrees.

Perhaps tomorrow I will be having a guest blogger who will be filling you all in on the goings on here at the shore.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a great pic of you two wit the Philly steak sandwiches at the ready.....

cheers & Y5000

bCollins

Battlestar said...

mmmmmm...Pat's cheesesteak.