Saturday, August 11, 2007

Exiting NJ through 5 States - Day 126

I exited New Jersey today. The Cape May - Lewes ferry was completely booked, so I had to take the long route around. And with shore traffic, it was extra long. But once I escaped, I started catching the driving bug, and entered four more states before I was through. 5 states in just 400 direct miles...it can only happen in the north east.

My exit out of NJ was over the Delaware Memorial bridge. I assume this will be the last time I

drive Pre out of her birth state.


I headed straight south through Delaware. Until now, DE had just been a "cut-through state"...sort of like a "fly-over state", except you're on wheels and they vote for the good guys. But this time I didn't make the right turn into MD, and instead headed down the Delmarva Peninsula.

I found Delaware quite pleasant, except for the nuclear power plant which made me feel a bit uneasy while observing the people swimming and fishing near by (oddly, I support nuclear power). Otherwise the birds, farms and little towns were entertaining scenery.

I don't remember Maryland at all, I think I turned left once.

Virgina gave me the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel, which at 17 miles is the longest in the world. It's a pretty amazing feat of architecture. Reading about it was better than driving it, as it was just a series of connected bridges and tunnels covered with some large egrets (now I have a visual for the common crossword puzzle shore bird) .

By the time I exited I was only a hundred miles from Murfreesboro, NC. So I pushed on. Arriving in my misspelled namesake town, I am disappointed to say I didn't fit in. So I pushed on. I am now chilling out in Roanoke Rapids, NC.

I put nearly 450 miles on today, a pretty big chunk for me, but it felt good to get back on the road again, especially with a glimpse of the end in sight. I think I'll slow it down a bit tomorrow, and take a closer look at the scenery.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Westward HO!