Friday, August 3, 2007

Day of the Mikes - Day 117

What a treat its been to stay with youngAunt. It's a lot like staying with mom. But instead of the Diamond Diner for brunch, there's better. With youngAunt, we went out for Skyline's 4-way - spaghetti and Cincinnati chili, covered with about half a pound of both onions and cheese. Actually, it may be more like a pound. This is all for about 5 bucks. As good as my "Road Food" book is, it isn't complete without the total comprehension of the familial bond formed around the 3/4/5-way of Cincy chili.


After "brunch", we took a trip out to see Uncle Mike. Uncle Mike was born with Downs Syndrome, and at his current age of about 6o, is still running strong. To avoid his disappointment (he put on a pouty face when we hinted we weren't taking him out), I took Mike for a ride. Upon seeing Pre, he said "Your car is dirty." He then pointed me to the nearest car wash. The car did need cleaning, but it was more about how great it was to take this side trip with my uncle.



I then took a nap. I used to take about 3 naps a week when I worked. But during this trip, a nap has been a precious, elusive commodity that can best be achieved in a place that feels like home. Thanks for sharing and making your home mine youngAunt.



In the afternoon, I hooked up with cuzMike. We had a couple of beers and we hit a couple hundred golf balls at the driving range while aiming for the mannequin. He took me for a tour of the grounds in the golf cart and then we had dinner at the "Pirates Cove". Pretty great fresh and fried seafood. A nice treat before heading down to the Ohio River for a pause as a coal barge slipped by.



Mike Vick is now in trouble for his violent dogs; cuzMike lives at a place with a sign that reads "Warning - Attack Chickens in Area". Fortunately, the heel sniping rooster was up a tree and I was left alone. The murderous chickens were also no threat and we moved on to the bars.

CuzMike says he's my "brother from another mother". I had a blast with cuzMike, and we drank way too much - perhaps one too many Red Bull and Jaeger.

It been great being Mom's "favorite child" for the last few months. (Sorry mark and kris, you're currently a distant second). Even her friends, like KMcC, are getting a kick out of this blog (mom tells me). Now that we are in August, I probably only have about a month left of this. Soon I will have to come back to the real world and get a job, a home, and a new life. But for now, I plan to live like cuzMike and just enjoy life as it comes at me...or as this Road Trip has progressed, as I move at it.

6 comments:

Pooka Politics said...

I think the attack chickens heard about your incident a few days earlier and stayed far away for fear of the same awful, slow death! And by the way the disclaimer should have been R, not PG-13! I could not bring myself to read the whole thing!

Anonymous said...

I don't think any Murphy has a familial bond with the 3-way!
Kristin

RoadTripper said...

Actually, youngAunt orders the 3-way. No onions...go figure.

Anonymous said...

First, this is becoming X rated.

Second, can you bring some of that stuff back to AZ for us to have? Didn't it come in a packet or something?

Thanks.

RoadTripper said...

TP - sorry, I didn't get to the store to get any. If mom doesn't have any extra packets, cuzTina says she will ship you some.

Anonymous said...

3-way, 4-way....... I agree with treason pal, this blog is getting x-rated.....keep it up....... ;)

Personally, I can't see you as Mom's #1. Top ten, maybe, but only on your birthday.....

Nice photos of you and Uncle Mike. I'm sure he was happy to see you.