Friday, October 30, 2009

Canadian Reject

I was worried about it the first two times I went into Canada, but this time it got me. My car is currently unregistered. The Phoenix registration expired earlier this month and when I went to get my NJ driver license, they said I needed the title to the car to get it registered. I figured I would pick it up when I got back to AZ and it shouldn't be too long before I get back to NJ.

So today, while crossing the border, I got a particularly questioning border agent. After asking where I lived I answered NJ, and when he saw my AZ license plate he inquired where my car was registered. I said AZ, and he wanted to see the registration. If I really wanted to, I could have gone through, but he "recommended" that I return to the states. I think there was a decent chance a ticket was coming my way had I not turned around.

Thus, I am in Great Forks, ND tonight after another rained out day, only this one had no attractions. I guess for now, my Canadian adventure is on hold. It's really not a great loss. As a comment from a Canadian indicated, Manitoba and Saskatchewan are wastelands. However, I will miss out on my main reason for going to Canada. Banff National Park, the 3rd NP ever established in the world would have been a treat. I guess I'll just have to pass through Yellowstone again. That's a park worth repeating.

2 comments:

Battlestar said...

I haven't fact checked it yet, but I just read that the chance of a road in the US being unpaved is <1%, in Canada, 75%. I guess they cannot afford to have unregistered drivers on all those unpaved roads.

BS

RoadTripper said...

BS, lol, I would like to think they have bigger issues than me, but apparently they weed out us irregulars. One of the main things they didn't like was that I was unemployed. They were perhaps afraid of me becoming a hobo. Let me say that if I am going to be homeless, it will be in Phoenix, or Florida, or somewhere that is warm year round...oh wait, I am homeless already.