Friday, October 9, 2009

Just a Long Pleasant Drive - Day 10

Not much to report today. I spent the whole morning zipping east on I40. By noon, I was bored of it and instructed Sake (my GPS name Sacajawea by Battlestar) to not use the freeways. So I spent the afternoon winding across northern TN, into southeast KY, and across the Virgina border to Abingdon where I am holed up for the evening. A lot of driving miles for one day, but there wasn't much to see or do and the gloomy weather made for a low experience day.

The drive did take me through parts of the Daniel Boone (KY) and Jefferson National Forests (VA). I suppose the highlight of the day was enjoying the fall colors. Since I hit New Mexico a week ago, I have been noticing the sporadic changing of the leaves, but in these forests, it is becoming much more prevalent.

That bodes well for the day I'll have tomorrow. I'll be heading to the Shenandoah National Park, and if I can get a bit of sunlight, I expect the trees will give me a good show. If there is no post tomorrow, it means that I decided camping out was a reasonable idea.

So, here are some things I've noticed along my trip so far:

1. Weather is very important. So after a trip to the Northwest, I may focus in the more temperate climates.
2. The cheaper hotels must be feeling the pinch. In 3 (half) of the dives I've stayed in they didn't even provide soap or shampoo. On my first trip, never was this the case...it must be the economy.
3. Also economy related, I have noticed many more Dollar General and Family Dollar stores, and they always seem to have more cars in the parking lot than any other store in town.
4. The west has much nicer and more scenic highway rest areas than the east. I guess they have the space to do it right.
5. Perhaps I am more frugal now, but I have noticed taxes seem to be higher...have a lot of states raised their tax rates in the last few years?
6. While in Phoenix, Pre averaged 46.4 MPG; on this trip Pre is currently at 50.4 MPG. This is sort of counter intuitive because this hybrid was designed to use the battery more and get better mileage in the city.
7. I don't remember having to slow down to 15 MPH so often to pass by a school. Perhaps there's been a nationwide trend to set up these slow zones.
8. I've seen quite a few solar panels used to power warning signs, lights, advertisements, etc. I like it.
9. It amazes me how virile the elderly are. On every hike I consider to be strenuous, I have passed what must be octogenarians or older, small stepping slowly along the way at the furthest points.
10. People are really nice and helpful...but then again, I haven't gotten to the Northeast yet.

Two days from home...cheers!

No comments: