Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Home and Away

It has been so great to be home with my parents and friends for the last 10 days! After 12 days, it was my longest stretch of road tripping ever. I hadn't seen a face I knew in a long time and seeing Mom and Dad was a great reward.

It had been nearly two years since I last spent any real time on the east coast. (I did come home for a very brief weekend earlier this year to catch a Phillies game with Dad, Bro and Bewick. Go Phillies!) Everything...the roads, the people, the food...elicited de ja vu moments and homecoming feelings. As I said, it's been great!

There were, however, two things that weren't great. First, I was stunned by just how densely packed the area is with people and wild northeast drivers. I felt stressed just getting on the NJ Turnpike and even going 10 miles over the speed limit I was tailgated, beeped at and drivers were swerving at me from all sides. I think I need an Aggressive Northeast Driving refresher course. Second, the weather has generally sucked. Until yesterday, I hadn't seen the sun at all since crossing the Mason Dixon line. It has been cold and rainy nearly every day. Sure, it is a bit of a weather aberration for this area, but the weather would never aberate like this in Phoenix.

I had a blast reuniting with my Hoboken family last weekend, and tomorrow I will be heading to Connecticut for a much needed reunion with the 6Ms. I've missed my nieces so much and can't wait to get caught up on all the growing up they've been doing without me.

On Sunday, I will be hitting the road again. Hopefully, by the end of the day I will be in the vicinity of one of the natural wonders of the world. After that I may try to take the Road Trip international for a while as I head for the left coast.

No comments: