Monday, October 26, 2009

Michigan - 3 To Go

Sleeping in after the long drive yesterday, I awoke and peeked out my hotel window and was pleased to see a Tim Hortons. Just a week ago I first heard of these doughnut joints. Tim Horton was a Canadian hockey player in the NHL from 1949 til his death in a car crash in 1973. He opened his first doughnut shop in 1964 and now there are almost 3,500 of them throughout Canada, and spreading into America. One is even coming to New York soon.

Piping hot coffee and a fluffy Boston Cream doughnut were a great start to an otherwise boring day. I'd say these Tim Hortons are a step up from Dunkin Doughnuts but not quite as posh as Starbucks filling in the much needed mid-range doughnut and coffee joint niche. Canadians are big fans of doughnuts, 'eh, as this chain accounts for 23% of all fast food revenues in Canada.

From London, Ontario I headed for the US border and the first venture of my life into the state of Michigan. This brings my list of States I never been to down to 3 - Alaska, Maine, and Michigan's neighbor Wisconsin. And after a drab day of mostly highway driving I am just 300 miles from the Wisconsin border in Traverse City, MI.

But I am opting to skip Wisconsin in favor of a more interesting adventure. If things go well, I should be camping out tomorrow night in a Canadian National Park. It's going to be like 2 Degrees Celsius (36F) so I will be putting the sleeping bag's lower temperature rating to the test. There aren't many big cities in the area, so I am hoping to get a clear sky. And while I've been to parks that have black bears, I haven't been to one that has a moose, caribou or Canadian lynx. I hope I see a Moose!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey RT! I just caught up on all of your 2nd roadtripping adventures thus far. I can't wait to read your daily updates...it gives me something to look forward to! I love living vicariously through you. I get to travel the country, and now Canada too, from the comfort of my home! I can't wait to see you when you come through Cincy. Have fun and stay safe!

Urcuzincincythatcan'tcomeupwithagoodnametosignoffwith

RoadTripper said...

Hey cuzincincy - Fun that you are watching...I am coming your way in a long slow round about way...I'll be there after Winnipeg, Regina, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Phoenix and many cities inbetween.