Thursday, October 1, 2009

Erasing Arizona - Day 2

By noon, I was out. Three hours across the desert on the I10, and I am now a former Phonecian and former Zoner. New Mexico couldn't come fast enough.

(Actually, New Mexico did come faster. I was once again tripped up by the crossing of a time line. I had most of what I wanted to do time out pretty well so that I could complete dinner and be back in my hotel room with plenty of time to get comfortable for Survivor. By the time I turned on the TV, they were already voting for the evictee. Damn time zone lines!!)

Shortly after entering New Mexico, I left the interstate and headed for Silver City, and the start of a scenic drive that had me criss-crossing the continental divide. I passed a town called Pinos Altos, or "tall pines" for you gringos, and that is exactly what appeared as I entered the Gila National Forest.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that I really had a great day. I am on vacation (or is it retirement or unemployment) and doing whatever I want, so it should be great. But once on the scenic drive, all stresses evaporate, and the beauty of the scenery takes over.

The road narrowed, and the center line disappeared, as the drive ran up, down and along the crest of small 6,500 foot elevation mountains. Tons of hair pin turns, striking panoramas, and ever changing flora; I even had a little skid producing run in with a deer that was eyeballing me like he wanted to make a suicidal run across the road. It was GREAT to get out of the desert.

Two hours deep in the middle of the journey, I came to the main attraction. The Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument. There, a mile long loop trail led me past ancient "condos" built into a cave about half way up a cliff. Why people intelligent enough to build these "rooms" would choose to build them half way up a cliff is beyond me. Apparently they figured out there was easier living elsewhere, because they only lasted on generation before checking out. However, I give them some credit for picking a room with a view.

Though just a mile, the steepness of the hike taught me that my Snack Master legs need to be retrained to hiking again. There were also a few ledges along the way that kicked in my fear of heights adrenaline...an added bonus.

Back across the mountains, and down past a few scenic lakes, and finally into Dening, NM. Dening is like many of the towns and cities I passed through today. The best days are behind this town, and it seems like more than half the businesses are closed down, and it appears many were abandoned. Windows are boarded, and there isn't even a "For Rent" sign to be seen. Sad.

Tomorrow if all goes well, I will be camping out (thus no blog) not far from Carlsbad Caverns National Park with the goal of seeing as much as I can of the park on Saturday. This will be the first National Park I've visited that has elevators.








3 comments:

MMMMMM said...

You should interview for the next Survivor. You would make a great contestant on any one of the reality TV shows.

Buz said...

Hate to be picky but I was checking the map and since you're right next to Truth or Consquences NM (Do the residents get to hate having to spell that out on all their forms?) I noticed you were in Deming not Dening, unless eithe Rand or McNally got it wrong.
--Buz

RoadTripper said...

Thanks Buz, it certainly was Deming.