Tuesday, February 20, 2007

LOA

This morning I sent an email to my boss indicating that I am looking to take a Leave of Absence from the job. Four hours later, I left her a voice mail. Four more hours later, she finally deemed it necessary to call me back. To my chagrin, she sloughed it off, played it cool, went with the flow. In order for me to actually get a LOA, I will need her to support me. And her response tonight seemed to be that she was OK with it.

Perhaps I underestimated her. There are multiple ways that my leaving could end badly for her; there are a couple of ways things could end about even for her; I can’t see how losing me on the current project could end good for her. By halting my march toward actually quitting, she may have found one of the ways she gets out of this without me putting her in an awkward situation…after all, I need her support to get a LOA.

So, Thursday I will be meeting with HR about whether this is possible. If it is possible, I would still be able to keep my current inexpensive insurance rather than going to Cobra, and there could be a few other benefits such as vesting in a few more options, etc. While not as fun as ranting about my out-of-states boss, it’s the smarter way to end it.

So, we’ll see…perhaps I can get a LOA and get the #ell away from here.

3 comments:

The SWZA said...

Want me to punch her in the solarplexus?

Let me know, I'll take the DragonBus up. Give her the old sockeroo to the ouchy parts, adjust that wanky attitude up nicely.

RoadTripper said...

swza, unfortunately the boss is in Tampa. A verbal flourish is the most I can hope to achieve with her...but I do think you throw a nasty slider version of that.

Anonymous said...

Max's mom - we doing the Colorado together, or what?