Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Acting the Tourist in Frisco - Day 45

Actually, the locals don't call it Frisco, but hey, I'm not a local. Today I was a tourist. When I live here about a hundred years ago, I had guests visiting almost every month. As their tour guide, on day one, I would take them on a tour of the city. (Days 2 through 7 were spent in Napa.) Today, I took myself on a short version of the city tour.


Lombard Street is still crooked, and some of the best views of the city are still found at Coit Tower. Perhaps I'd never really appreciated the beauty of this city, but being on this extended Road Trip, I think I have a finer appreciation for scenery. San Francisco is better than I remembered, and I suppose it doesn't hurt that it is unusually warm and sunny - no fog to be found here today.


After Coit, I drove down to Fisherman's Wharf for a glance around, but I'm not entirely a tourist so I didn't need to walk around. I did however stop at the Buena Vista. The Buena Vista may make the best Irish Coffee in the world (B. Schwartz would have a grand appreciation for the bartender's craft and creations.) While there, I ran into a B. Collins who is down from Portland working on a Hewlett Packard commercial with Serena Williams. He offered to point me in the right direction when travelling in Oregon, and I hope to take him up on his offer of a kayak tour of the waters around Portland. I had a second Irish Coffee....excellent!


After stopping for a few pictures of the bridge, I headed back to Sis' place to await my babysitting duties. Seismic and I will be having sushi for dinner...I have been waiting 9,000 miles for San Francisco sushi, and I'm sure it will have been worth the wait. Mmmmmm, sushi.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have RoadTrip Competition. A guy in the New York Time called Frugal Traveler is taking 3 months to follow you across the US and writes each Wednesday:

"The great American road trip is an adventure everyone dreams about: roving the scenic byways of this vast country, stumbling on new vistas and obscure cuisines, making friends in dust-speck towns and glittering metropolises, and joining the pantheon of legendary crisscrossers —Jack Kerouac, John Steinbeck, William Least Heat-Moon, Britney Spears. (What, you haven’t seen “Crossroads”?)"

He already has 279 comments on what to see.

Here is the site:

http://travel.nytimes.com//2007/05/23/travel/23frugal.html

RoadTripper said...

buz - great article...sounds like he is going to be travelling in a very similar way as I have been...only I am spending a little bit more per day than $100. I posted a comment to him, not sure when it will get on his list of 300+ comments. I also bookmarked it and will be reading it every week. It would be a lot easier to do it every week, but I would foget what happened 7 days ago.