Saturday, May 12, 2007

GC Part 2 - Day 32

After the wonderful drive of the Southern Rim of the Grand Canyon, I decided to take a half hour helicopter tour. While many millions of people visit the GC every year, only about 200,000 take a river tour. About 400,000 people hike or take mules down into the canyon. And over 800,000 take a helicopter tour.

Just being in a helicopter is excitement enough, but to fly over the Grand Canyon in one is a thrill. Again, pictures don't do it justice. You have to see it for yourself.

But the reason I felt the description of the GC needed a Part 2 is because I am being stalked by a celebrity. I don't run into celebrities very often. But in February, I wrote a post about my brothers surprise 40th birthday party in Vegas, where I met Roger Clemens, shook his hand, and got his autograph on a $100 bet I placed for 6Pack on the Yankees winning the World Series. I neglected to mention that besides Clemens, we were also introduced to David Hasslehoff.

As I was waiting for the helicopter tour, guess who paraded in...yes, the media tarnished David Hasslehoff. (He recently was hounded by the tabloids for a drunken spectacle he made of himself.) He was preceded by two attractive women wearing black T-shirts that read, "Don't Hassle the Hoff!" His small entourage was there for the same type of helicopter tour I was taking.

They ushered him into a private room, but not before I was able to shake his hand. I said, "Mr. Hasslehoff, I was in Las Vegas for the Super Bowl, and met you there." He said, "Yeah, I was there just finishing up that...that play thing." I found it funny that he was the headliner star for "The Producers" and couldn't come up with the name of the "play".

Anyway, Battlestar and B-girl (B-girl decided she didn't like the Fiancee moniker) are visiting here in Phoenix this weekend. With their upcoming nuptials as well as their probable move to Seattle looming, it is nice that they were able to squeeze this trip in.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny synchronicity story -- I thought it was wierd that both the Hoff and the Rocket crossed in Las Vegas on Super bowl Sunday and also in the headlines last week. too bad you didn't get 2 autographs on that ticket. Has Jack decided what he will do with the ticket when Roger wins the World Series final game for the Yankees?

Anonymous said...

I'll get the $$$$. (I'll Xerox the ticket first though...)

Say hello to Mr. & Mrs. Hayes for me. You know, candlesticks make great wedding gifts........