Thursday, May 10, 2007

GC Part 1 - Day 32

Pictures can't come close to demonstrating the beauty. Words could never come close to describing it. I can only write this attempting to convince you that pictures and words are not up to the challenge of describing it and you have to go see it for yourself.

Innocently approaching the southern rim of the GRAND CANYON from the east, I paid the $25 vehicle entry fee and was immediately thrust in front of the most jaw dropping, mesmerizing, enchanting and entrancing raw beauty that is likely the best this country has to offer, and perhaps the best Earth has to offer. If you live in this country and you don't see the Grand Canyon during your lifetime, you screwed up. Period.

From the initial view at the watchtower, til the end of the 27 mile drive of the southern rim drive, there is not a single place that you can stop your car that you should skip. Stop every time. Even if you think it is just a pass-by area, don't pass it by. Every new vantage is an advantage to see more of the best. My eyes have never taken in such all encompassing beauty.

I won't try to describe the indescribable; but, I will denote how I felt after the terrifying beauty the canyon provided. I walked around the normal barriers of the scenic overlook, and followed a fellow tourist along a short path that led to a small perch 6000 feet above the bottom of the canyon. After watching him step out onto this death plank, I offered to take his picture for a return of the favor. When it was my turn to step onto the precipice, I didn't. I got down on my knees and delicately rotated by body to sit on the edge. Gingerly I stood up.

About 15 minutes later, as I was driving down the road, my heart was racing, my hands were quivering, my legs were still tingling. There's not a roller coaster in the world that gives a thrill that compares to standing on that precipice. While this was the best thrill of the trip, many were comparable.

I am not done with you GC...not yet. I really expect to be rafting through the bottom of the canyon, as well as walking out on the new Skywalk. Both of these would be accessed best from the west, probably Las Vegas.

Again, I am only trying to convince you how imperative it is that you all see this in person. It is so infinitely much to behold.

I will write part two about the helicopter tour I took to end the day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't Jump!!!!

Nice photo of you over the Grand Canyon. I hope you have a great helicopter ride today!