Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Still Not Off the Reservation – Day 31

After seeing the Canyon de Chelly near Chinle, AZ at daybreak, I had a good appreciation for how great the Grand Canyon would be. I haven’t seen as dramatic a landscape yet on the trip. By the end of the day, it paled.

The Canyon at it’s highest was 800 feet of sheer cliff, and my fear-of-heights nerves were tested by short or non-existent barriers. There were many signs about protecting children, because they could just walk right off. The base of the canyon continues to be inhabited and farmed by the Navajo. You can take tours of the canyon floor by jeep, but I didn’t. Maybe the next canyon, but not because the Canyon wasn’t spectacular…it was.

After that, I headed to Four Corners, the only place in the country where you can be in four states at once (AZ, UT, CO, NM). Check. Done. That’s about all there is to it, other than some small stands selling trinkets and one food stand where I got “authentic” Navajo Frybread. It turned out to be a round half inch thick zeppoli smothered in powdered sugar. Far superior to a doughnut, and a perfect brunch.

From there I went through Mexican Hat, UT, and dropped down into Monument Valley. The Valley has been a star in many a western movie, and is recognizable to anyone who went through a cowboy phase as a child. I stopped on the side of the road a dozen times before coming to the visitor center. It’s all such an unusual vision, it is like seeing a UFO. The eyes just aren’t accustomed to something so unique.

For five bucks at the visitor center, you are allowed to take your car on a 17 mile dirt road loop around the best structures of the valley. This is a place worth going far out of you way to see.

This coming Saturday, at this visitor center, they are hosting the third of the Red Bull Air Race series. From what I can tell, lunatic pilots are going to be flying at super high speeds around a course that incorporates the structures of Monument Valley. I think they did it in San Francisco last year…any comments Max’s Mom?

For the last 36 hours, I have been on Indian reservations that are outside Verizon’s coverage. Last night I tapped an open internet access point. If this gets posted tonight, I’ll have probably done so again. Hoping to get back to the wired world again soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's it?! Fry bread?!? That's all you ate yesterday?

Anonymous said...

Oh - and congrats - it's been a month since you've been on the road.

TP

RoadTripper said...

jay river, Thanks for the info. I watched the video. Quite informative.