Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Better Than Nothing - Day 115

What made this day better than yesterday. Not much as far as what I saw or did or ate. Like yesterday it was another day of driving circuitously through Iowa corn fields and farms. I took another "scenic" byway, that doesn't compare to earlier drives. It did have two interesting bridges, but nothing special. I quite enjoyed lunch at the "New China Buffet", probably because I had such low expectations, that were only slightly exceeded.

But today was better than yesterday and it had more to do with attitude than atmosphere. Yesterday I was in the middle of a long cross-country trek, midway between the coasts, far from any home. Today I was one day away from Cincinatti, Skyline chili, youngAunt, cuzTina, family and friends, familiar faces and places. Yesterday, I spent the drive preoccupied with thinking: what happens when the trip ends, where will I live, how will I earn a living, and what happens after this mid-life crisis? Today, I took extra effort to think about the day's drive, the upcoming Cinci reunion, the family vacation in Cape May and my trip back to Hoboken to see 6pack and the crew. With so much time passing the miles, it is easy to get distracted and ponderous. But the more I do of that, the less I will enjoy the present, and that would be cutting the Summer of Scott a little short.

One of the things that really changed the day for me was that cuzTina suggested a diversion from our plans to leave Cinci on Friday morning. She offered a BBQ at her place and was inviting any relatives who could make it. I'm very psyched for a good old fashioned Murphy cookout, replete with relatives and complete with a cooler full of beer. Thanks cuzTina!

The last time I was at a full Cinci gathering we played some game with bean bags and slanted planks of wood...any chance that sport will be available?
__________________

mark asked a good question in a comment yesterday...it was: "How many states have you visited in your life? Which states have you missed?"

Since I spent more than 20 minutes figuring out the answer, I figured I'd post it here also:

So far on this trip I have visited the following states:
NJ, PA, OH, WV, KY, IN, IL, MO, AR, TN, MS, LA, TX, NM, AZ, CO, UT, CA, NY, CT, NV, ID, WY, DE, OR, WA, MN, SD, MT, ND, NB, IA (32 States)

I know I have previously also been in these states: HI, VT, NH, MA, MD, VA, NC, SC, GA, FL, RI (11 States)

Leaving this as the list of states unvisited: KA, WI, ME, AK, OK, MI, AL (7 States)

Of those 7 states, I figure I might possibly get to KA, OK, and/or AL while this trip continues. That could leave just Wisconsin, Michigan, Maine (yes gWhen, I never made it to the Franco plaza) and Alaska (darn you Moira!).
__________________

BTW, apparently they will farm anything here in Iowa:

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

FYI. Mr. T. would be interested if you do choose to u-haul your way back.

As long as he flies in Thursday - leave Friday and arrive in AZ Monday/Tuesday.

Also, you could toe Pre with the truck.

Anonymous said...

Toe... uhuh - I meant tow.

Anonymous said...

It would be crazy to go through this whole adventure and have never been in ME. You officially have an open invitation to come with us any time. We're always looking for babysitters, er, I mean company to join us when we visit.

As for the rest of your list, I spent a weekend on business in what was suposedly the nicest hotel in Birmingham, AL. It was attached to a mall. Don't waste your time.

RoadTripper said...

TP - Planning on driving Pre still. Will let you and Mr. T know if that changes.

AND!!!! TOE/TOW - after you criticized me for messing up the desert/dessert issue, I hope you hold your sass from now on.

long time reader, first time commenter - (wow, I hope you choose a shorter monicker if you post again. I'd hate to be typing long time reader second time commenter next time.) I totally rue the fact that I have that state on my short list, and I skipped so many prior offers. I was so much older then; I'm younger than that now.

Anonymous said...

Have you thought about those Pod things to move your stuff?