Friday, July 13, 2007

Camping Out Part 2 - Day 95

I’ve been in touch with bCollins, the guy I met in San Francisco. At the Buena Vista I told him my story, and he said when coming to Oregon, let him know where I am heading and he might have some suggestions. Last night in Bend, OR, he instructed me to go to the Deschutes Brewery. Clearly it was a good suggestion because it was too crowded at 6PM on a Wednesday to get a table. It was also a good suggestion because it is the same beer that CaptCuzBill had on hand when I met him this evening in Umatilla, OR.

Right now I am camping out again on the edge of the Columbia River, the border between Oregon and Washington. Today, for $9.99, I added a fold-up chair to my camping arsenal of pop-up tent and roll-up sleeping bag.

When CaptCuzBill rolled in, we spent about 20 minutes arranging the basics of camp, then guided his boat into the river, and we were fishing. Two puny bass were hauled in during the quick two hours we were out there. A little disappointing to the Idaho State Walleye Champion, but for a novice like me, it was pretty cool. Just being on the water was pretty cool.

We are also accompanied by Jerry. I met Jerry at the Walleye tournament where he and his wife were volunteers. He brought along a thick binder he has accumulated titled “Secret Walleye Fishing Manual” with hand drawn sketches of the river we are on. Let’s hope it helps, because walleye are tough fish to hook and “you don’t fish for walleye, you hunt them.”

(Sorry, no pictures today…I took just a couple, and it’s not worth running down the batteries on my computer trying to upload them. Once we make nice with the RV neighbors, perhaps I can plug into one of their outlets and recharge.)

Tomorrow, at sunrise, we go first to get me a fishing license, then we head out on the Columbia. I’m hoping for some really fresh sushi tomorrow night.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://news.com.com/Road+Trip+2007/2009-13576_3-6195505.html

Anonymous said...

Hi Uncle Scott. I just saw your website for the first time and I didn't know you put me on it 2 months ago!!! The first time I went fishing I caught a large mouth bass, not a Walleye and not in Oregon. Hope to see you soon.
Love,
Maitlyn

Anonymous said...

P.S. I love your Blog.

RoadTripper said...

Maitlyn!!! I'm so glad you read my blog! I hope you enjoy it and check in occasionally. I miss you and love you!! Uncle Scott


Anonymous - TP, I checked out the site...this could be helpful to me...I'd be interested in a portable printer, but I am getting loaded sown with the camping gear...I might have to lose the golf clubs.