Thursday, July 26, 2007

A Long Montana Drive - Day 110

Slightly exhausted and spent, I checked into a cozy hotel and slept for 9 straight hours. It was the longest sleep to date while actually out on the road. It was also needed because if I had to do today's drive without it, I may have been taking a dirt nap along the way.

I called Mom today and said, "Hey, whatcha doing...I'm bored." She said that was the first time I had indicated that. True, but it wasn't that I was actually bored, it was that I was just filling the day.

I did over 500 miles on Montana's Route 2. Predominantly, I saw two sceneries. In the morning, I saw amber waves of grain; the afternoon was filled with cattle farms and greenery aplenty. About every hour, I would have a "city" where I would need to slow down to 35mph, and decide whether to stop at their one store. Fortunately, I had the Prius because seldom was gas available.

I stopped at most of the Historical Markers along the way, and for the most part they were entertaining. They would have a description of either a great indian battle or a Lewis and Clark crossing or a tale about bison or even a Butch and Sundance train robbery. There was even one just about a rock. I would have stopped at more interesting things, but along this route, alas, there were none. And for all these reasons, I highly recommend this as a pleasant, enjoyable, breezy drive...there's, literally, nothing to it.

Oh, I did run into a clan with NJ plates from the Atlantic City area. They're heading on a similar route, but they will be home in 5 days...I'm going a bit slower. They were nice briefly, but then headed off. I would have talked to others along the way, but there were none.

It's an inspiring Montana Big Sky tonight with a beautiful sunset. Tomorrow, yet another National Park. I suspect I will camp out and I suspect little cell coverage and no internet. Perhaps another bberry thumbing.

Sunset:




No comments: