Friday, July 27, 2007

TR NP, ND NU- Day 111

Ho-hum, just another night out under the stars. This time I am in the badlands of North Dakota at Theodore Roosevelt National Park (the NU in the title is for North Unit).

I'm situated next to the Little Missouri River that runs through these badlands and provides the plusher setting of grass and cottonwood trees. I didn't know there was going to be grass, so I came prepared with an air mattress.

Camping out is beginning to feel like home. Except, instead of TV, I have a ranger program in the amphitheatre at 9 PM. Tonight's topic is the geology of the badlands. It's like the Discovery channel, only live and in person and the only interruptions are for Q and A.

The park is divided into North and South Units that are separated by about 50 miles of national grassland. My camp is in the South Unit, but I spent the day touring the North.

The North Unit consisted of a 14 mile road out-and-back (so 28 miles total). It's the lesser visited of the two units, and I often felt I was the only one there. None more so than when I went on a mile and a half hike. The hike took me perpendicular off the main road and into badland canyons where I know I was the only human there. The steep striated cliffs surrounded and shrouded me. It's a very eerie feeling. Apparently it had a lot of formative value for Teddy.


Having only seen half of it, I'd say it is better than the actual Badlands NP because it has a bit more diversity in its formations as well as the plants and animals. The grass here helps the bison and a few other large, mostly non-threatening animals survive. And the place is littered with prairie dogs. They are hilarious, I could watch them for hours, barking as you approach, scurrying around nervously back into their holes, or perched back on their haunches having a look around. And they make a great audience...you move, and they perk up and watch you. Funny stuff.

Gotta go, my show's coming on now.

*** note: I tried to upload pictures, but the connection here in the park is minimal (lucky I have one at all). I will add pictures later ***

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay.... Nature Boy....

Anonymous said...

I forgot to ask - what kind of delivery do they have there?

Anonymous said...

found a website for ya.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/

RoadTripper said...

TP - No delivery. Catch and eat. As for the website...it is getting better...I had seen it while researching this trip at the beginning and it didn't have as much.

The SWZA said...

Those pictures of the Badlands look like set shots from a hybrid of Gunsmoke, Branded!, and the original Star Trek.