Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Seattle to Glacier National - Day 108

I typed up the below last night and am posting it now...I will be typing up the Glacier drive shortly, and adding a picture or two here also. - RT
______________

Killer drive today. Longest yet. Fortunately, even though a majority of it was on I90, WA then ID then MT we're all beautiful.

I sit here, again camping out, thumbing in the words to my blackberry. Dusk is fading into night and I hear the others at the campsite making final preparations before bedding down. I also hear a million crickets with their high pitched whines.

Soon I will see only shadows and stars and would rather keep hearing the nonthreatening crickets. I don't want to hear any grizzlies creeping by. I received about 5 pieces of literature with warnings and precautions about bears.. I think the rangers are trying to scare me, and it worked.

Scott Miller, his wife, and his one and three year old daughters are at the station across the "road". He's originally from MT and camps here every year. He now lives about an hour from Ashville, NC and says he only shops at Ingle's markets because they are the best. Scott invited me over, but they were cooking dinner an I didn't want to intrude. Rookie mistake. Next time I will gladly intrude.

Tomorrow I will be exploring Glacier National Park. I sleep tonight at the base of the "Going to the Sun" road, that boasts of itself as being the most spectacular drive in the world (multiple sources of my road literature).

Wow! Looks like it's going to be a stars night...I hope I can see the Milky Way or perhaps some satellites. Good night, sleep tight, don't let the bedbugs or bears bite.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Fortunately, even though a majority of it was on I90, WA then ID then MT we're all beautiful."

Yes, we're all beautiful....

Glad to see neither the bedbugs nor the bears were a problem.

I used to date Scott Miller. Not that one, but another. And so funny, I was just talking to BigHunk and he was regaling me with a story about Asheville AND Ingle's Market. Weird.

Don't think about scorpions, don't think about scorpions....

Anonymous said...

I always knew this, but treason pal = evil.

By the way, Scott, given your bug phobia, which kept you up more, the fear of the bears or bedbugs?

RoadTripper said...

TP - who haven't you dated?

MFox - yes, TP = evil. That's why we love her. Bugs - I'm coping with it. I walk through spider webs, I accept the things that land on me. It's a tough life, but I'm perservering.

Anonymous said...

Dear Uncle Scott,
I liked the picrture of the mountains with the sun hitting it.
I miss you.
Love,
Melanie

Anonymous said...

Dear Uncle Scott,
I liked the picrture of the mountains with the sun hitting it.
I miss you.
Love,
Melanie

RoadTripper said...

Melanie, I miss you too. When the sun was just over the mountqin it was beautiful. Wish you were there with me. Love, uncle scott

The SWZA said...

You camped?

Dude. I'm totally going camping next weekend, I'm horrified.

Evidently, "camping" involves sleeping in a bag in the dirt. With like, nature and crap.

Oi. What is so wrong about taxi stands, continental breakfast and dressing for dinner?

Someone please tell me, I'll be in the AC.

RoadTripper said...

swza - I wasn't a camper, I don't consider myself a camper, but I totally appreciate how cool it is to do every now and then when appropriate. Some places are too remote to fully enjoy without staying overnight and seeing the sun go down and the sun rise. let me know how it goes.

The SWZA said...

Here's the thing.

Chuck Palahniuk's all outdoorsy and whatever, and he was camping somewhere in NoCal or Oregon or something and wound up next to this group of partying knuckleheads.

Complete with kegs, stereo, lights and a generator.

So he hikes on down the mountain and says, Dudes, I totally come up here to chill and you guys are harshing it. The lights and music? Come on.

And they beat the crap out of him.

His walking around with the busted up grille and shiner and peoples' unwillingness to look him in the eye were the impetus for Fight Club.

Well, now that that's all taken care of already, what am I supposed to do after I beat up a Pine Barrens keg party and go home with a Jersey Devil-delivered fat lip?

I ask you.