Saturday, July 28, 2007

TR NP, ND SU- Day 112

I awoke this morning after a very comfortable night outdoors, thanks to the air mattress and a cool perfect night. On my stroll to the no-shower facilities, I was approached by a cute little bunny rabbit. On my return two more hopped into my path and awaited my next move. At the program last night, one camper asked whether the place was being taken over by rabbits. The ranger explained, "This happens every summer, the hares run rampant for a few months, and they'd mostly all be gone by August - squished. They're not very bright." I think it is something different. I think there is a new breed of suicidal bunny here in the badlands. It took all my best driving to prevent my first roadkill from being a bunny.

(When I think about what my first roadkill should be, I am hoping for a skunk, porcupine or pigeon.)

Perhaps suicide is prevalent among the Theodore Roosevelt National Park South Unit animals. As I rounded my first bend to enter the main loop, I had to come to a complete stop to avoid the enormous buffalo - er, bison. About 10 of them were crossing the road slowly, and I slipped through them, snapping a few shots and ready to hit the gas to outrun them if they charged. I'm told 30MPH is their charging speed.

From there it was more kicks and giggles with the prairie dogs. I think they are here simply for comic relief because most of the badlands are pretty harsh. But also alarmingly beautiful. I can see how it would draw in a man like Teddy Roosevelt. It was captivating to me, but not so much I would want to live here - I'm certainly no Rough Rider.

This morning bison were followed by great view, short hike, great view, stunning view, short hike, more stunning view, meet some people from ND on short hike, even more stunning view where I met the couple from Tuscon, stunning view, comedy with another prairie dog town, wild horses, and a final stunning view. I exited back with the bison, only they had grown to most of the herd with about 150 or so in view, and some close enough to hear them breath (and snort in anger). The ranger said they were "rutting" now, and this made them more active. I didn't get a definition of what rutting is, but I don't think it's what I first thought it meant.

And finally, I escaped North Dakota. I took a couple of scenic byways out of the state - the Sacajawea route and the American Indian route. Both pleasant drives that helped ease the badlands powerful aura.

Fortunately I did not Kevorkian any of the small cute suicidal bunnies. But they really tried hard...I give them credit for being so sincere about it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perfect. No worries. G'night.

Anonymous said...

Hi Uncle Scott, I am glad that you didn't run over any bunnies and also that the buffalo didn't run you over. That was a funny blog (too many bunnies). Hope to see you soon in Cape May.
Love,
Maitlyn

RoadTripper said...

Hi Maitlyn, See you in Cape May. I'm glad I didn't run over and bunnies too. They were all over the place!

Uncle Scott

The SWZA said...

Alright, so I gotta tell you my cool Teddy Roosevelt thing.

He's in the White House, right, and a bunch of old Rough Rider pals go to visit. They knock on the front door and ask to see him, but the staff wasn't buying that these dirty guys were friends with the president, and turns them away.

TR happens to come downstairs as the door is closing and asks who had knocked. He figures out his buddies just got the shaft and runs outside after them.

He catches up and they all hoot and holler and act all manly, badass, last of a dying breed toughguy, laughing and shoving each other around and Teddy says, If this ever happens again, don't bother with the door, just come right on through the front windows!

RoadTripper said...

SWZA - TR got shot in the chest during a speech, and wouldn't go for medical help. He said, "I have to give this speech." and continued on. Man was amazing.

The SWZA said...

I bet when the docs pulled that bullet out, it bowed and apologized to Teddy and said it had no idea at who it was aimed.