Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Glacier's Going-to-the-Sun Road - Day 109

Glacier Glacier Glacier...how to describe Glacier? I don't have a good answer. The problem is I was just at Yellowstone. And Glacier is no Yellowstone.

Admittedly, I have only scratched the surface of both parks. Yellowstone presented in such little time how immense and diverse it was, and I felt lured to see more. But Glacier National Park seemed to unveil itself in one great visual presentation. I'm sure there is a lot more, but I think I got enough of the good stuff.

I camped out last night and was among the last to go to sleep in my area. The stars were fantastic, but my view was limited by the tall cedar trees that surrounded my campsite. With my new travel pillow, I bedded down. Previously, my tent had sat upon grassy cushions. Last night, the tent site was on a pebble bed, and I now know that an air bed is needed for the next night out. I was among the first to awake.

By camping at the Eastern base of the park, I was able to jump right into the path I had chosen - the Going-to-the-Sun road. This was purported to be the most spectacular drive in the world. It wasn't...I've done better. But it was spectacular. With every mile, it presented dramatic views, weeping walls, long and short hikes, guided trails, and even a glimpse of the elusive longhorn sheep that Yellowstone had denied BS and I.

It took me 6 hours to negotiate the 60 miles of Going-to-the-Sun. I could have made it in 2 hours, but I could also have done it in 2 days. I took 3 trails, totalling about 4 miles of terrain. The uphill stretches continue to make me pant and whinny.

But Glacier was all about the views, and I stopped at many of the turnouts to ooh and aah.

After exiting the park, I headed east to little Shelby, MT. Here are a few of scenic Glacier sites as I head east toward North Dakota.





5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok - started on plans for Bryce Canyon and the other park I told you about - Capitol Reef - http://www.nps.gov/care/.

Spoke with Bossman and he is willing to rent us his 36.5' 2001 Airstream Land Yacht for a week or whatever.

We can bring the dogs and tow the bug. Told him the approximate time we'd be traveling and he said fine.

Mr. T. can work while we drive! Sweet!

RoadTripper said...

I'm in. Book it.

Bill said...

Is it "longhorn" or "bighorn" sheep??????

RoadTripper said...

Bill - the sheep were longhorn.

Maitlyn - 1. I was on a mountain about 400 feet up...it was scary. I stuck the camera over the edge. 2. The brown spiky thing is the roots of a cedar treee that fell over and the roots were bigger than me. 3. I find the danger signs funny and important. I read them and make sure I'm not the one in danger.

Uncle Scott

Anonymous said...

Hi Uncle Scott, I just changed my favorite picture(the one of the beach) to the picture of the roots. I think thats REALLY cool.That must have been a pretty big tree if its rootswere bigger than you!!!
Love,
Maitlyn