Thursday, April 5, 2007

Good To Go

By this time tomorrow, I will have locked the door of my condo for the last time. Tonight is the last time I will sleep in "my bed" for five months. My desktop computer has been stored, as well as most everything save sparse remains and the items I am bringing on the road.

I've tried to keep what I am bringing to a minimum, but I may still have too much and we'll see when I finally load the car tomorrow. The majority of what I am bringing is clothes. After clothes and golf clubs, maps and books will take up the most space. I may have to ditch a bunch of the AAA State Books. They are just too big. Then there's nothing bigger than my laptop bag.



The other miscellaneous items I am bringing are:

  • umbrella
  • envelopes
  • important papers - like my checkbook
  • laundry detergent (Tide - thx Mom)
  • throat lozenges and mints
  • camera, ipod, blackberry (of course)
  • towels and towelettes
  • dental floss pics
  • glasses and sunglasses
  • Carmex
  • food and beverage cooler
  • I might bring two collapsible chairs
  • blanket (given to me by Aunt Wilmster)
  • scads of toiletries in my new dopkit
  • pens
  • mini tool-kit
  • travel tissues

And the books I am bringing that are not AAA books and maps are:

  • Travels With Charley (fiction) - Steinbeck
  • Blue Highways (fiction) - William Least Heat-moon (weird name)
  • Absurdistan (fiction) - Shteyngart
  • Road Food - Stern's
  • Road Trip USA - Jensen
  • Eccentric America - Friedman
  • National Geographic's Scenic Highways and Byways

I think I'm good to go. Am I forgetting anything?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought I sent you an email on April Fools Day but I do not see it any where. Oh well, I hope you have a safe trip and enjoy the ride!

RoadTripper said...

Thank you treason's sister. Hope I didn't fool you totally.

I just found out today that my nieces did an April Fools joke that day and I fell for it completely. They emailed me that a tree had fallen into the play room. I asked for pictures that were not forthcoming. Bro asked me today if I was fooled by their joke, and I didn't know what he meant. They got me good!

Anonymous said...

Bon Voyage, Roadtripper! :-) See you in ChiTown in 1 week. YAY!

Anonymous said...

Where's the Mag light? (you always need one in the car, just in case of late nite driving and it's a good tool/weapon...put it under the seat.) and stamps (postage is going up ck the $) so you can send post cards to your nieces and nephew.

RoadTripper said...

Seismic, I can't wait to see you in Chi. It'll be great, with better to look forward to later in the trip.

Anony, tonight I was given a tool that has a light, a knife to ct through a seat belt, and point to break a window, and other security features. As for the stamps, I do have a few, but will pick up the tools to send cards and mail...thanks for the idea.

Anonymous said...

I just re-read this, and had a bit of a blonde moment I thought I'd share: I was going to ask you why you'd bring pictures of dental floss.

Duh.

I think I need to get more sleep.