Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The Road to Del Rio - Day 17

The weather has turned ugly. I had warm sunny days from Memphis to Oxford. It’s been overcast or drizzling the last two days (so no golf). The weatherman just said: “The weather is dangerous tonight. We don’t really ever make a forecast like that. The weather is dangerous.” This is because tornadoes are moving through the whole area from San Antonio to here in Del Rio. I have golf ball sized hail and tornadoes in my forecast for tonight. Unequivocally, that is a first for me.

From Johnson City, it was a short drive to Blanco and the Devil’s Backbone scenic drive (p. 181). Perhaps it was the weather, but it was a boring drive compared to the others from the book. I had better going off road randomly and taking non-book scenic drives I happened upon. This is really the first time one of the books has let me down.

I went to the Alamo in San Antonio. Not bad…actually better than I thought it would be. But I saw the movies and they were better (both the John Wayne version and even the new one).

From there, I headed down Route 90 all the way to Del Rio, TX. I skipped lunch in anticipation of either my first Texas Steak or a real Mexican Restaurant. In Del Rio, after a beautiful drive, the concierge pointed me to Cripple Creek steaks, and I had a sumptuous rib eye special with all the fat the Murphy’s (apparently) love. I wonder what I weigh?

Del Rio is right on the border of Mexico. Some other road-trippers told me that I don’t really need to go to Mexico yet, and should wait until outside Yuma, AZ. I’ll take that advice for now. There aren’t many road trippers like me that I have found yet, but they seem easy to spot. But I am waiting to meet one that doesn’t have gray hair.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

On my map, Del Rio is 1 1/2 inches up the Rio Grande from Eagle Pass. And this from the New York Times:
EAGLE PASS, Texas (AP) -- Six people were killed when severe storms spawned a tornado that struck a small community near the Mexican border Tuesday, officials said.

Now it's your turn to tell everyone you're OK. And how close were you?

Anonymous said...

I read 10 dead. Maybe he is one of the dead!?

Anonymous said...

Scott --
If you did live, did you get any good pictures? How's the car? golf balls? Did you get down to Eagle Pass and see what a twister can do?

Anonymous said...

I just got an email from Scott -- HE IS OK.
He was playing golf and he doesn't blog until evening -- so we'll hear about his not-very-near scrape with death tonight.

RoadTripper said...

I'm alive! For the first time in my life, I had golf ball sized hail AND tornadoes in the forecast. They were killing near Del Rio, while I was at the Alamo.

As I drove to Del Rio, I guess I passed them by on their way toward San Antonio. I didn't get to see anything exciting. The atmosphere felt on-edge, but that was it.

buz, i should have gone down to Eagle Pass to see the damage! I didn't think of it. Next time a natural disaster happens, I'm there! Really.