Thursday, April 12, 2007

Pizza and Picasso - Day 5

A minor injury hampered me today. Last night we went to a bar across the street from Wrigley Field. The famous Cubs stadium is an eight block walk from our Majestic Hotel. Along the way, I pulled a muscle in my driving calf. When driving, there aren't many muscles that you abuse more than the right calf - accelerate, brake, decelerate, repeat, repeat, repeat. These seriously strenuous actions resulted in the aforementioned affliction...for simplicity, we'll just call it a sports injury, OK.


While CuzJoe went on an early morning walking tour of the beaches of Chicago (did you know Chicago had beaches - I didn't), I took my sports injury to a professional and got a full hour massage. It may not have solved the sports injury, but it certainly left me feeling better.


CuzJoe and I reunited for lunch. We took the El Train to The Loop, and asked a few wandering De Paul students where to get a good slice of Chicago style pizza. The unanimous recommendation was Giordano's. And while it was more than an inch deep, they actually call it "stuffed pizza". From bottom up, our pizza was dough, spinach, a half inch of cheese, dough and the sauce is on top. I've had better pizza, and still prefer the dough, sauce, cheese on top structure, but it was delicious. Hey, nobody knows pizza better than college students.


Oddly enough, CuzJoe recommend and I agreed to go to the Art Institute of Chicago after lunch. (I suspect many of our relatives aren't buying it.) There was an extensive display of artists in the "Cezanne to Picasso" exhibit. It seemed to me that 50% of art is religious - I saw about a dozen different artist's versions of "The Crucifixion of Christ". I even found one piece of art that I already knew - Monet's "Water Lilies". It was one of the toughest jigsaw puzzles I had growing up because it's all fuzzy. It wasn't a misprint, the real one is fuzzy too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the sports injury!! that's great. (or not) who knew how strenous driving could be! But I will say, you sound like you are having much fun....mak

Anonymous said...

Um. Day six?!?

Anonymous said...

Waiting, waiting, waiting....

RoadTripper said...

mak - its a sports injury, really it is.

treason - hey back off be-atch. i never promised an update a day. I really would hope to do it every day, but sometimes life interferes. planning on doing a quick update now.