Monday, April 23, 2007

WJC to LBJ - Day 16

I woke up in Hope, AR, birthplace of William Jefferson Clinton. Not much happened today. I drove from Hope to Dallas. At a rest stop, an El Paso native returning from a fly fishing weekend told me I was half way to the Atlantic. Or Pacific, I suppose.

From the food book, I had planned to go to Gennie's Bishop Grill. I arrived only to find it had been replaced by a Husky's Hamburgers, a Johnny Rocket's wannabe. So I went to plan B and sped on to Fort Worth. I wouldn't call Fort Worth a twin city, more like the little brother. Dallas is to Fort Worth as New York is to Philadelphia.

I went to Angello's and had a (half) Beef Plate. The sides were fine, but the beef brisket was the best I ever had. I've been writing about food a lot, but I haven't used a term as strong as that yet. It was fork tender brisket, held together by not so thin strands of fat. Succulent fat, that I'm sure Buz would love as much as I did.

After that, I just took the slower back roads down towards San Antonio. I am bunking tonight in Johnson City, TX, birthplace of Lyndon Baines Johnson.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right about beef with fat -- I'm giving up on filet mignon -- too lean, too dry. Give me a good fat corned beef or prime rib -- now that's sweet.
Are you putting notes in the book so someone can find the best place?

RoadTripper said...

As for notes in book, no. It'd be redundant because I know I need to do it in the blog. I try to put enough info (restaurant name, city, food to eat) that I can check here for it should I end up in or near the city again.